To complete your companion Shadowheart’s personal quest in Baldur’s Gate 3, you must visit the House of Sorrow in Act 3. You can read here where to find him, how you survive the fight, what effects your decisions have, and how you use the Mirror of Loss.
Find House of Sorrow: Location on map
You can find the house in the northwest corner of the lower town. The closest fast travel point is “Baldur’s Gate”. Directly to the west is a parallel road between Dame Jannath’s estate and Elerrathin’s house. If you follow this road north, you will cross a bridge. Just behind is the entrance to the Casa do Luto.
- Coordinates of the House of Mourning: X: -263 Y: -11
Should you take Shadowheart with you?
The House of Mourning is, unsurprisingly, a Sharite house. So, if Shadowheart is still accompanying you, you should definitely take her with you on your personal quest. This also makes it easier for you to go deeper into the house of grief.
Inside, talk to the woman behind the counter. If you do not have Shadow Heart with you, you must agree to free yourself from your pain or sneak past the gifts. With Shadow Heart on your team, however, you’ll be taken directly to a back room with a bench. Sit on it. You can answer the following question yourself or let Shadowheart take over.
House of Sorrow: Beat the boss fight against Viconia DeVir
If you now follow the path deeper into the House of Mourning, after a few rooms you will reach a large hall where Viconia and her followers are waiting for you. Your options here depend on the path Shadowheart took:
- If you deliver Shadow Heart to Viconia, she will become your ally in the final battle – but Shadow Heart will permanently leave your party.
- If Shadowheart has moved away from Shar and you do not hand her over, you will have to fight all Sharites present.
- After Shadowheart becomes a Dark Justicar, you can convince some of the Sharites to fight with you against Viconia.
Especially with the Selunite route to Shadowheart, the fight is quite difficult. But we can at least give you some tips:
- Viconia imposes a condition on Shadowheart, which causes her to critically damage Shadowheart with each attack. So keep the two away from each other.
- The Sharites cast darknesswhich makes him blind and they themselves are immune to blindness. If you don’t have any Warlocks with the Fel Sight ability, cast counterspells or attack the dark caster to break their concentration.
- Avoid dazzling damage against Viconia! It then returns double the damage dealt to you. In Tactical mode this applies to all Sharites.
- Uses AoE spells. Due to the large number of enemies, any spell that hits several of them is useful.
- Retreat to the stairs: Go up the stairs the way you came, so all the Sharites should come from one direction. “Hadar Hunger”, “Wall of Fire” or “Ice Storm” at the bottom of the stairs make life even more difficult for them.
After the fight, you will be able to interact with Viconia to decide your fate. If you let them live, you will get nothing. If you kill her, you can loot a legendary shield and cloak from her.
There’s more Baldur’s Gate 3 in the video chat:
Middle finger to the AAA industry: Baldur’s Gate 3 was no coincidence
Also loot all the corpses in the room because you need them Silver keyto enter the room to the west. Before that, you can explore the room to the north to meet Nightshade, an old friend of Shadowheart, and discover some stories.
Save Shadowheart’s parents or not?
If you now enter the room to the west, you will find Shadowheart’s parents and will have to make a decision. There are only two options, but depending on what Shadowheart has decided so far, the consequences will change:
- Save your parents: Shadowheart keeps Shar’s curse, but in return you get her parents as NPCs in the camp and a scene with the family at the next long rest.
- Kill your parents: Shadowheart frees herself from Shar’s influence, but loses her parents, who accompany her like little lights.
If she lets her Shadow Heart make the decision alone, she will kill her parents at their request. If you want to save them both, you’ll have to make a DC 20 Persuasion check. Gameplay-wise, your choice doesn’t make a difference, so choose what you feel is right.
Dark Justicar Darkheart:
- Save your parents: Shar breaks away from Shadowheart and gives him back his memories of Shadowheart torturing his parents. In return, you get a nice family scene.
- Run your parents: Not only do Shadowheart’s parents die, but they are also tormented by Shar after their deaths. Shadowheart’s memory has been erased, so she no longer has any memory of her parents.
You actually get a gaming advantage here if you run Shadowheart’s parents. Then the Dark Justicars from the previous fight will be by your side as allies in the final battle.
Using the Mirror of Loss
At the west end of the room you will find a large mirror. Anyone except Shadowheart can use the mirror to a permanent bonus of +1 to Charisma and +2 to any attribute to obtain. However, it takes a bit of luck, so you should save up in advance.
Gain a +1 bonus to Charisma
To do this, select the first option in the mirror: “Look in the mirror to give one of your souvenirs”. Now you can choose an answer that is linked to one of your attributes, or give up Thayan knowledge if you have read all of Thay’s Necromancy – but we do not recommend the latter because you will permanently lose the knowledge.
In exchange for the given memory, we get a new one from the mirror. We want them Reminder of a person who should take Stelmane’s place. This memory alone gives us the permanent charisma buff. The memory you get depends on your luck, so use the fast loading function generously.
Gain a +2 bonus to one attribute
To do this you must choose the second option in the mirror and complete the DC 25 religion check. To do this you can use inspiration dice, advance respect to increase your intelligence score, or have Shadow Heart cast “improve attribute ” in you.
Now give any memory again. You will get a debuff for this, but you can remove it later. In return, you can choose a new memory that permanently increases one of your attributes by +2. Then cast “Break Curse” on the character or take a long rest to get rid of the lost memory penalty.
With both attribute upgrades, there is a chance the mirror will lose interest in you before you can get the permanent bonus. This seems to happen purely randomly, so save often and reload if necessary.